Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Creative Development: Organic Modeling

Out of a pure will made of motivation, and determination, I have decided to go against my own grain and get better at something that I hate to do: Organic Modeling. 

Note: This is not a class assignment or anything, just personal practice.

I believe that the only reason I hate organic modeling is because it intimidates me. Everything must be so precise in order to achieve a pleasing result. The human face... everyone looks at hundreds a day, so one polygon in the wrong place can set the whole thing off! That always scared me. But today I decided to jump in head-first (no pun intended) and just go at it. Since taking Character Modeling and Rigging almost a year ago, I've gotten loads better with Maya, so this only took a few hours, on-and-off. I'm trying to get to the point where it only takes me around 30 minutes, and it looks great topology-wise. This one is decent in my opinion; I understand that I went wrong in a lot of places when it came to edge flow, but it was my first time modeling a head in almost a year, so I did what I could.






As you can see, it's pretty low-poly (ignore the "poly count" on the left, it's counting subdivisions), and the top of the head is very lopsided, but practice makes perfect! I'll try another from scratch tomorrow.

 - Jason B. Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment